Friday, August 17, 2012

images: Tiepolo

William Forsythe speaks about Tiepolo's drawings being positioned in space, with no up, no down. Accessible from any direction. I haven't yet found a really suitable example to illustrate his point, but here is a test..


flying cherubs

I can only suspect that William Forsythe could have used any number of artist's drawings as a starting position for his choreography of Hypothetical Stream in 1997. William Forsuthe mentions how the drawings have no up or down and can be entered from any direction. I can not actually find a lot of evidence of Tiepolo drawing in that way specifically. I think it is very likely that a lot of sketches of other artists have this quality, too. But below is a good example of the directionless quality that Forsythe mentioned and used as a starting point to create a choreography for 8 dancer's.













Giovanni Battista Tiepolo (1696–1770)
Three Studies of Bacchus
Pen and brown ink, brown wash, over black chalk
13 x 10 13/16 inches (333 x 275 mm)
Gift of J. P. Morgan, Jr.; IV, 117a



*************************************************************************************

and then I found this, totally off topic but also by Tiepolo:






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment it may take a while for me to find it. I don't check this old research gathering blog very often these days. it is 2021 - about 10 years since I last added to this collection. But I hope that you find some of the material I gathered for my dissertation helpful.